Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Breakfast Smoothies

Sometimes it can be a challenge trying to pack all your necessary nutrients in one day. That's the beauty of smoothies. There's no simpler way and these require very little effort. Each one of these smoothies has been personalized to fit into a one-serving blender (such as a magic bullet or a nutribullet). If you are making these for more than one person or a full- size blender, simple double the recipe.

The Infamous Power Green Smoothie
I was sort of infamous for these in High School (hence where the name comes from). I always made, or bought, one and brought it to school when I didn't have time for breakfast in the morning. It's simple and gets you an ample amount of protein, iron, and fiber. It's a perfect way to start off the day... even though sometimes you think you're drinking grass.

Ingredients:
1 cup kale (dun dun dunnn)
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup unsweetened Vegan milk of choice
1 medium frozen banana
1/4 cup pineapple
1/4 cup mixed frozen berries
1 tbsp spirulina powder (don't worry, the pineapple covers the taste)
Courtesy of the magnificent Hyland Slade.
Blend&Serve :)

The best thing about smoothies is how easily you can make them your own. My friend, Hyland, used a similar recipe in her green smoothies but simply added different fruits.
You can find more of her work on her Instagram @hylandslade


Post-Workout Smoothie
This one's for all you gym junkies out there. After a solid morning workout, it is vital that you replace the nutrients you've lost. This prevents muscle loss and muscle damage. Not only does this one reboot your system, it tastes like it shouldn't be healthy.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
1 medium frozen banana
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened natural cacao powder
1/2 cup Almond/Hemp/Coconut milk
1 tbsp chia seeds (my savior)
A pinch of stevia or another low calorie sweetener
Blend&Serve
I usually top this one with raw cacao nibs and cinnamon.

Ode to Pumpkin pt. 2
I've saved the best for last. Since Pumpkin Spice Lattes are not Vegan, I'll settle for a pumpkin smoothie. This one is usually my treat smoothie. If I eat well and take care of my body all week, I reward myself with this one on Saturday mornings.

Ingredients:
1 cup Almond/Hemp/Coconut milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (you can find this in the baking aisle)
1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 medium banana
nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice
2/3 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Blend&Serve
Top with soy whipped cream and pumpkin seeds

Always Remember:
Animals are friends, not food.
Sincerely,
Jasmine Millner :)

P.S. Let me know if you try any of these in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment