Thursday, January 8, 2015

Death by Cosmetics

Being a Vegan doesn't end at the tip of your fork; it extends to all aspects of life. Veganism, from what I have seen, appears to some as an "overly radical" movement. I understand that some campaigns may make it appear this way, but it is most definitely not an overly radical movement. It's the choice to treat everyone, including animals, with respect and care. What is so wrong with not wanting to hurt any living being? If you are reading this, please recognize that no one is telling you what you can and cannot purchase. But this is a Vegan blog and you are here to read about Veganism. So without further delay, let's jump into cosmetics. Animal testing is one of the major modern issues that is highly overlooked. A common misconception is that the testing only occurs with rats and rabbits as test subjects. While this is true, it doesn't end there. Testing extends to other animals such as cats, dogs, primates, mice, etc. Imagine your household pet being tortured so someone can fix their stubby eyelashes. What I will never understand about the outside perspective is where people draw the line. Why is it ok for someone to kill a cow... but not a dog? You wouldn't eat your dog; am I right? But that's different I suppose... I've listed a few companies below and whether or not they fall into the cruelty-free category.
Test On Animals:

Maybe she's born with it; maybe she killed a bunch of animals to fix the wrinkle on her forehead.
Smashbox
M.A.C (Sorry ladies)
Neutrogena ("Natural" my ass)
Garnier
Revlon
Benefit Cosmetics
Chapstick
Clinique/ Estee Lauder

Do Not Test On Animals and Are Entirely Vegan:
Highly recommended
Everyday Minerals
Tarte Cosmetics (offers a Vegan line)
Emani Minerals
Pumpkin & Poppy
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (which I highly recommend)
Pacifica
e.l.f
The All Natural Face
If you haven't heard of some of these, I highly suggest you check them out.

You can find a full list of "cruelty-free" products on the PETA website
So how do you avoid products tested on animals? PETA offers an online gadget that allows you to type in the company of concern and responds with a simple "yes" or "no" answer. This is where I got most of this information.
(If you're looking for more information) This one is a little less graphic than most of the videos I've found. If you're really up for some disgusting truth, here you go. P.S. that one is not for the weak stomached. I had to stop 34 seconds in. I try to shop entirely Vegan and Cruelty-Free so I completely understand that this is not easy. Windex tests on animals. How the hell do you avoid Windex!? All I'm asking is that you try. Cosmetic companies are the easiest start I could think of. It may seem small, but what happens to these companies when no one is buying their products?
Disclaimer: All information found on these brands is from the  PETA website.

Always Remember:
Animals are friends, not test subjects.
Sincerely,
Jasmine Millner

No comments:

Post a Comment