Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Why Did I Become a Vegetarian?

To be frank, meat is gross. I went Vegetarian 3 years ago simply because I realized what I was actually ingesting and to be honest, I haven’t regretted a single second.  I'm sure most of you have heard of the documentaries Food Inc. or Forks over Knives but if not you should definitely go watch them on Netflix right now. No, seriously. Go watch one of them now before you finish reading this. It may seem kind of cliché, but that is the entire reason. I was literally afraid of meat.
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. 
Actually, no. Probably not. There are a lot of people that don't care about the animals or what they themselves are consuming. If you are one of those people, maybe I can change your mind. I’m not going to go all hippie tree-hugger on you guys, as much as I’d like to, but to put it simply; These animals are abused and neglected. How would you like to be locked up with no sunlight or space to move? There are plenty of people that argue that this is why animals were put on this Earth. Yeah, totally. Animals were totally put here by some mysterious chain of events so that humans could abuse, neglect, and eat their flesh. I really hope my sarcasm is shining through at this point. 
Live simply, so that others can simply live. 
My other favorite argument about giving up meat is that "One person becoming a Vegetarian does not affect the world." Oh really? While it may not seem like I am making that great of an impact, by being a Vegetarian I am saving 100 animals per year. What are you doing with your life? People are so concerned about world hunger but aren't willing to do a damn thing about it. If everyone would give up meat, or even limit it, there would be enough food in the world to feed everyone. Don't believe me? Alright. http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/reasons-go-vegan/ Here's some proof. By going Vegetarian I am not only saving myself, but others as well. One pound of meat uses 2,400 gallons of water. That’s absolutely ridiculous. There are people that don't have water and we are wasting it on things we don't need.  
You are what you eat.
In my opinion, diet is the best form of medicine. I’m sure you’ve all heard the saying “You are what you eat.” That’s the truth. What you eat can either help you or harm you. I don’t know about everyone else, but I want to be the very best I can be. There are a lot of people with no concern for their personal well-being because they really don't see their diet as a threat. When I went Vegetarian, I was doing it solely out of respect for the animals, not so much myself. On the other hang, my choice to be a Vegan was entirely based on health reasons. That doesn't mean that I'm not just as eager to save the animals as I am myself because I totally am. “Save the planet” and all that bullshit. It has been proven multiple times that plant-based diets are the best way to go. I could go into this topic for hours so out of respect for time...

Always remember:
Animals are friends, not food.

Sincerely
Jasmine Millner

No comments:

Post a Comment