Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dude, I'm Broke

One of the common misconceptions about being a Vegan is that it's unreasonably expensive. While this is sometimes true, it is completely dependent on outside factors. I'm in college. While most kids can survive on Ramen, I have to pay for overpriced grass. So here are some tips to get past those pesky price limitations.
1) College Kids
Dining halls are your friend. As Veganism gets more and more mainstream, almost every school has begun to add some sort of Vegan option to the menu. Our school has a whole station dedicated to it, not to mention the salad bar. You'll be fine. Not everyone has a kitchen in their dorm... or a microwave for that matter. If you do, invest in microwavable Veggie burgers or Vegan pizzas. These are surprisingly very easy to find. Look in your local organic section.
2) Make your own damn food
Where are you shopping? If it's a natural foods store, don't get me wrong I love these, it is probably slightly overpriced. That's usually because their produce is local. Which is great... but I'm broke. I would love to save your economy but first I have to survive. On top of this, pre-prepared Vegan food replacements are generally more expensive than their non-Vegan counterparts. Stop trying to buy foods to replace non-Vegan meals and try something new.
3) Frozen Food 
Vegetables are expensive as hell. I don't have a job, but even if I did there is no way I am spending $5 on a damn carrot stick. I don't care how "Organic" you claim to be. We have a mini freezer in our dorm that is just stockpiled with frozen vegetables. Well it was before I got the plague and got shut in my room for three days.
4) Packaged Food
If you're on a budget, the cheapest way to get food is by making it from scratch. Vegan is not for the lazy. If you cut out pre-prepared meals and make it yourself you would be saving an epic amount of cash. Don't have cooking supplies? Get creative. P.S. You don't need cooking supplies to make a salad.
5) Buy in Season
Buying out of season produce is way more expensive because you're buying imports. They can raise the price because the demand for these foods is higher than the supply. They're less abundant and you have to add in travel costs. The best way to find in-season produce is stopping by your local farmers market.
6) Grow Your Own
Not the easiest solution, but a solution nonetheless. Obviously don't do that now it's fricken cold outside. During the winter, I try to keep a couple of herbs growing like sage, basil, chives, cilantro, etc. I don't exactly have a green thumb though so this is usually a fail.

I'll have a list of cheap packaged foods coming this week so keep a lookout :)

And always remember:
Animals are friends, not food.
Sincerely,
Jasmine Millner

No comments:

Post a Comment