Monday, November 24, 2014

Ode to Pumpkin

Oh, Pumpkin. I love you so. Pumpkin is overflowing with antioxidants that fight cancer causing free radicals. They not only aid in cancer prevention, but in weight loss, eye health, skin protection, and muscle growth. Not to mention how much they boost your immune system; which is perfect since I still have the plague (to clarify, I don't actually have the plague). Another fun fact is that they are scientifically proven to fight depression and make you happier. Overall, you can't go wrong with pumpkins. They're almost out of season so get them while you still can! By the way, Pumpkin is a fruit! I'm not sure if I'm the only one that didn't know this... but I always thought it was a vegetable. Anyway, here we go.
Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Smoothie:
Yields 2 Smoothies
1 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 cup Rolled Oats
1 tbsp Chia Seeds
1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin
1/2 Frozen Banana
 • Cinnamon
 • Nutmeg
 • Pumpkin Pie Spice
 • Plant Based or Soy Protein Powder (optional)
1.5-2 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup(optional but highly recommended)
Instructions: 
Put it in the blender... ta da.

Pumpkin Bisque:
Ok this one is super simple. Let's get real, I'm no chef. I burn cereal. So simple, in fact, that Damen and I were able to make it in his tiny ass kitchen.
What You Need:
  • 3 cups Pumpkin(I'm lazy so I use the canned stuff)
  • 1 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of Olive Oil/ Coconut Oil
  • 3 or 4 minced Garlic Cloves
  • 1 12 teaspoons of Sugar/Stevia
  • 1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Salt&Pepper
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • Cinnamon
  • Crushed Red Pepper
  • Allspice
  • Crushed Blue Corn Chips

The finished product.
Instructions:
  • In a LARGE pot (we made the mistake of using a small one), cook the onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat until caramelized.
  • Add in pumpkin, almond milk, and vegetable stock. Mix and cook until it is one solid consistency.
  • Add in spices, get creative, all that jazz. There is no set measurement for this.
  • Pour into bowls and garnish with the pumpkin seeds and crushed blue corn chips.

Mission: SUCCESS. Well... kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment